Archive | October, 2013

Thomas Fondant Cake Topper – tutorial

21 Oct

Here is my most recent Thomas Cake and a quick tutorial on how I made Thomas.
Image

1. I made Thomas from fondant mixed with tylose.  First I made a basic black cylinder

Image

2. The face can be created a lot of ways.  You could do a simple round grey circle with added features.  This time I tried to create more of a 3D shape to Thomas’ face before adding the features which I did by using basic gumpaste tools.
Image

3. I added eyes and eyebrows then used tylose glue to put the face on the cylinder and then added a strip of blue around the back of the cylinder.

Image

4.  I created a square with a rounded top for the back of Thomas

Image

5. A black rectangle with a thin red layer for the base of him.  The red layer needs to be slightly wider the thomas cylinder
Image

6.  Glue him together and add some side panels and semi-circlesImage

7.  I added a smoke stack on top and some wheels

Image

Image
7.  And then just a few details on the sides and top of him to finish him off.   I added a few thin red fondant stripes to the top of him, used a red edible marker on the sides and added a fondant 1.

Image
Thanks for reading!!

My First Wired Flower — magnolia tutorial

11 Oct

I decided to make my first wired flower last week.  I received a request for a 50th anniversary cake and I thought it was a great opportunity to try something new.

Here is the final cake.
Image

I am going to show you how I made the flower on top of the cake.

1 – I made a white gumpaste oval and added a wire.  I used scissors to make small cuts around the top of the oval to create the texture.
Image

2.  Next I made the petals.  I rolled out a thin layer of gumpaste on the wilton flower impression mat.  It has a wire groove on the back of it that you use to insert the wire into the gumpaste.   After I had a thin layer I cut out the petal.  If you have a petal cutter, use that.  I did not have one the right size so I used a heart cutter and just cut it once and then turned the cutter and cut again to create the petal shape.   I dipped the wire in some tylose glue and then inserted it and used the front of the impression mat to create the veining on the flower.    Each petal was laid to dry on a soup spoon (hubby says we don’t get to eat when I make flowers lol).  When they were done they looked like this:
ImageImage

3.  I dusted both the center and the petals with a light yellow petal dust.
Image

4.  I added three petals first so they would be closest to the center.

Image

5. Then I added the back petals

Image

That’s about it.  It was a lot easier then I expected so don’t be intimidated to try it.
Thanks for reading 🙂